List of 3D Modeling Software
Perm url with updates: http://xahlee.org/blender/3d_modelers.html
List of 3D Modeling Software
Xah Lee, 2010-01-06, 2010-07-27
This page is a list of 3D modeling software for various purposes. I don't have experience in using most of them. For those i do have used, the comment will be more elaborate.
Note: 3D modeling software are quite complex and diverse. For examples:
- Software designed for engineering, architecture, CAD, is almost useless for creating commercial animations that's mostly free-form shapes, and vice versa. Similarly, those from gaming community has its own purposes, features, requirements.
- Also, the underlying modeling approach is very different. Most popular are mesh/polygon based. (they represent a object by its surface) Then there are solid based, that represent objects with a thickness as in real life. And there are ones focused on spline/nurb free-form curve based. There are ones based on sculpting and painting directly to the surface.
- Even within a field, the interface is very diverse and totally different.
- TrueSpace (pro quality. Free)
- Blender (pro quality. Free.)
- Lightwave 3D
- Form-Z (solid modeler)
- Zbrush (3d sculpting)
- Mudbox (3d sculpting)
- Cinema4D (animation)
- Rhinoceros 3D
- Strata 3D
- POV-Ray Free. Building a model based on mixing simple primitives like boxes, spheres, cones. Primarily for programers. Input is a script. Not GUI. No interactive feedback of modeling process.
Second Life is a Virtual world. It is not much of a 3D molder, but more as a 3D virtual world environment where you can quickly build basic concepts of architecture or a 3D object, quickly, and immediately explore it inworld such as walk-thru or fly thru.
Second Life is not useful as a modeling tool for engineering, CAD, or creating pro quality animations. (you can, of course, make video recoding of the screen). Can't export to standard 3d formats.
To get a quick sense of what building is like in Second Life, see: Second Life 3D-Construction Tutorial
For video of building in Second Life, see: second life building
The Second Life is completely built by its users. For more screenshots and videos, see A Photographic Tour of Life in Second Life.
- Wings 3d (free) Used mostly for gaming. Notable is that it's written in the Erlang language.
- Milkshape (free)
- General purpose: 3D computer graphics software, Comparison of 3D computer graphics software.
- 3D software user-based survey. http://cgenie.com/articles/1158-cgenies-big-cg-survey-is-now-open-have-your-say.html.
- secondlife.com 3d Software Guide written with a focus on using it to import sculpted prims to Second Life.
- Comparison of CAD editors for AEC. AEC means architecture, engineering and construction.
- Comparison of Free EDA software. EDA means electronic design automation. e.g. computer printed circuit boards, integrated circuits.