Perm url with updates: http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/diplomacy_vs_propaganda.html
Diplomacy vs Propaganda (John H Brown)
Xah Lee, 2011-02-28
My blog entry What is Al Jazeera? and What's Al Hurra?, is quoted by ex US diplomat John H. Brown at his blog at Source publicdiplomacypressandblogreview.blogspot.com.
Here's a quote from Wikipedia about John H Brown:
Brown, who received a Ph.D. in Russian History from Princeton University in 1977, was a member of the U.S. Foreign Service from 1981 until March 10, 2003 where he resigned over the war in Iraq;
Here's a video linked from his blog site, about the issue of diplomacy vs propaganda:
“John H. Brown FINDING OUR VOICES Bonus Feature”
In the video, he lists 4 things about propaganda:
- ① Simplification of the issues.
- ② Constant repetition of slogans that's often unconnected. (e.g. weapons of mass destruction, regime change)
- ③ Demonization of the “other”. (e.g. the “evil”, the “other”)
- ④ Stretching the truth, to unacceptable limits.
- The Art of Propaganda
- What Desires Are Politically Important? (by Bertrand Russell)
- Demonic Males by Richard Wrangham and Dale Peterson.
- the Hawking Americanism
- 94 Photos of Iraq War