IE9 Renderer Crash
Perm url with updates: http://xahlee.org/js/ie9_renderer_crash.html
IE9 Went into Compatibility Mode; Renderer Crash
Xah Lee, 2011-03-14
IE9 is released today. After installing, it asks you to restart Windows. Alright. First thing i did is to check my website. Within 30 seconds, on this page Xah Emacs Tutorial, i got this error: “A problem displaying xahlee.org caused Internet Explorer to refresh the webpage using Compatibility View.” as a pop-up pane at the bottom of the window. Part of the page is not rendered, and part of it disappears when you move your mouse to the navigation menu. Great!
Here's a few screenshots:
- ie9_renderer_crash_0.png (page with the error message)
- ie9_renderer_crash_1.png (Most page content are not rendered. Nav bar doesn't show.)
- ie9_renderer_crash_2.png (best state; badly rendered, still missing half of the page content at bottom.)
- ie9_renderer_crash_3.png (when mouse moved to nav bar, page content disappears.)
A 5 second web search you found this page: IE has refreshed this page in Compatibility View due to a problem @ Source stackoverflow.com. That user reports that IE9 went into compatibility mode for a HTML5 site.
According to a comment from apparently a IE developer, quote:
this means you've found an IE bug called a "hard assert" which is similar to a crash in the rendering engine. We're interested in finding and fixing these; please file a bug at connect.microsoft.com/ie. Thanks! – EricLaw -MSFT- Oct 1 '10 at 14:31
Rendering engine crash! Great!
When i tried to copy ＆ paste the error text when writing this blog, the text cannot be copied.
And on some pages, it tells me i need Flash plug-in, but Flash was displayed right there in tabs i opened before...
After 3 min reading web about their compatibility mode, it's one complex shit.
So, my first impression of IE9: go home ＆ die.
Other IE9 Problems
Here's random list of IE9 problems. I'm adding them here as i found them.
When dragging a image to desktop, a pop-up dialog comes up with message “Are you sure you want to copy o move files to this folder? You should only copy or move files from locations that you trust. Yes No”. Quite annoying. Idiotic.
• The tabs gets very crowded.
• When there are more tabs than the space allows, it shows a little triangle icon tab on the left and right sides of the tabs. Hard to use.