Discovered winner-mode minor mode. It's bundled with emacs 23.2. winner-mode lets you revert to a previous pane configuration.
- Start winner-mode. 【Alt+x winner-mode】.
- Call split-window-vertically.
- Call split-window-horizontally.
- Now, remove all split panes by calling delete-other-windows.
- Now, you can go back to previous split pane config by typing 【Ctrl+c ←】 (winner-undo). With right arrow does winner-redo.
If you want this functionality always, put in your emacs init file:
;; a feature to preserve split pane configuration. Use 【Ctrl+c ←】 and 【Ctrl+c →】 (when (fboundp 'winner-mode) (winner-mode 1)) ; 1 for on, 0 for off