emacs 24 alpha has been out for a while.
2 months ago i tried it and it crashes when loading linum-mode (show line numbers on left window border)
today i tried again, and it seems smooth, so far. If you want to give it a try, download at:
- Windows: Source alpha.gnu.org. Download the one named 〔emacs-20120215-r107296-bin-i386.zip〕. Unzip it.
- Mac: Source emacsformacosx.com
- Linux: Check your OS's software manager. Or, download source at Source alpha.gnu.org and built yourself.
For Windows users, after download, unzip it. Go to the folder, in the “bin” dir, then click on file in “runemacs.exe” to launch.
it's probably better if you create a Windows shortcut, which lets you set your home dir properly.
to create a file shortcut:
- ① Hold Alt then drag that 〔runemacs.exe〕 icon to desktop.
- ② In the newly created alias icon, right click to open file properties. Then, in the “Start in” field, enter
- ③ In the “Target” field, you can add your own init files. For example, here's mine:
%home%\apps\emacs-24.0.93\bin\runemacs.exe -Q --load=%home%\ErgoEmacs_Source\ergoemacs\ergoemacs\init.el --load=%home%\.emacs. Here, i suppress loading init files by
-Q, but load ErgoEmacs init files, then load my personal init files.
For other Windows emacs tips, such as setting up home dir, see: Emacs and Microsoft Windows Tips.
For what's changed in emacs 24, call “view-emacs-news” 【Ctrl+h n】. For a easy-to-read summary, see: