Perm URL with updates: http://xahlee.org/mswin/Windows_keybinding.html
Different tools have different features and purposes. Here's a list of possible features. Most tools can do only SOME of the following:
- Swap, disable, or reassign modifier keys, such as Ctrl, Alt, Caps Lock, Win keys.
- Define key to launch a file (launch app, run script, or just open file).
- Define key to insert text, such as your today's date, your address, or your signature.
- Define keys to insert math symbols or unicode symbols. e.g. © € → “ ” ° § ¶ ◆ α β ≈ ≠ ≤ ≥ ∑ ♫ ♬
- Define key to act as if pressing other key, key combo, key sequence. (e.g. press F8 for 【Alt+Tab】)
- Define actions for special keyboard keys, such as those multimedia keys, volumn control, sleep, app keys.
- Define combination keys, such as 【Ctrl+a】.
- Define sequential keys, such as 【Alt+Space a】.
- Macros. Record ＆ play back a sequence of key strokes or mouse events.
For Mac, see: Mac OS X Keyboard Layout, Keymapping, Keybinding, Tools.
For emacs, see: Emacs: How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts.
for Linux fans: you screwed. LOL