Emacs: Ways to Jump to Points
when coding, there's a common need to jump to a particular place, then return to previous position.
There are several ways. Most common standard way are:
- exchange-point-and-mark 【Ctrl+x Ctrl+x】.
- 【Ctrl+u Ctrl+Space】
I've tried all ways in past years, including custom elisp that push marks. But i found split windows to be the best.
e.g. split window. Go to where you wanna be. When done, unsplit. Give split/unsplit a easy key. (➲ Emacs: How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts) e.g. In ErgoEmacs, it's:
- 【Alt+3】 delete-other-windows
- 【Alt+4】 split-window-vertically
- 【Alt+0】 delete-window
- 【Alt+s】 other-window
On a different note, here's a nice tip when using mouse (thx to Ken Goldman):
- Middle mouse button on a status bar expands current pane.
- Right mouse button on a status bar closes current pane.