Linux: gnome, xfce, where is trash location
Perm URL with updates: http://xahlee.info/linux/linux_trash_location.html
What's the Linux command to put things in trash?
You can do
Where is the trash folder?
Example trash location:
- 〔~/.local/share/Trash/〕 → on your local file system.
- 〔/media/PENDRIVE/.Trash-1000/〕 → on a USB drive.
- 〔/root/.local/share/Trash/〕 → if you are root, on your local file system.
How does Linux Trash Work?
In the trash dir, there are 3 dirs:
- 〔expunged〕→ (this is not in spec.)
- 〔files〕 → contains the actual trashed files.
- 〔info〕 → contains text file that has info about trashed file.
For example, if you have a file at 〔/home/jane/Downloads/cat.jpg〕 and you deleted to trash. Then, you'll have:
and the file 〔cat.jpg.trashinfo〕 will have content like this:
[Trash Info] Path=/home/jane/Downloads/cat.jpg DeletionDate=2013-05-29T00:09:26
You can delete the trash dir. ⁖
rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/.
Reference. 〔The FreeDesktop.org Trash specification @ www.ramendik.ru…〕