What's the Use of the ▤ Menu/App Key?
Perm URL with updates: http://xahlee.info/kbd/whats_the_use_of_the_menu_app_key.html
the ▤ Menu key is just fantastic. Now, in Firefox, you can press 【▤ Menu c】 to copy, and 【▤ Menu p】 to paste. Also works in terminal, desktop (file manager) to rename, etc.
this is particularly nice when your keyboard has a nice positioned ▤ Menu key. For me, on the Truly Ergonomic Keyboard, that's the left space bar.
or, you can make your Caps Lock to be the ▤ Menu key.
- On Linux, use
xmodmap. 〔☛ Linux: xmodmap Tutorial ⌨〕.
- On Mac OS X, use “PCKeyboardHack”. 〔☛ Mac OS X: Keyboard Layout, Keymapping, Keybinding, Software ⌨〕.
- On Microsoft Windows, use AutoHotkey. 〔☛ Windows Programing: AutoHotkey Example Scripts〕
and, of course, in my emacs setup, some 90% of my commands calls are all assigned to a key sequence, starting with the ▤ Menu key. 〔☛ Ergoemacs-vi Mode〕
- Banish Key Chords
- Keyboard Shortcut Design: Repeatable vs Non-Repeatable Commands and Keys
- ErgoEmacs Keybinding
- How to Avoid the Emacs Pinky Problem
- Bad Advices from Programers about Typing ＆ Keyboard (RSI)
- Backspace key; Computer Keyboard Key Label's Influence on Key Purpose
- Keyboard Hardware's Influence on Keyboard Shortcut Design (How Emacs ＆ vi keys came to be)